Food insects are the main pests of the places where food products are produced, processed and marketed.
Since the dawn of agriculture, the problem of food conservation has driven people to seek effective solutions. However, food insects are still an open plague today.
Thanks to their physical characteristics, they penetrate the environments and containers that store your food products:
If you don’t intervene in time, you can be invaded by food parasite colonization. Prevent the situation from degenerating and other species, such as flies, rats and mice.
Knowing food insects is the best way to prevent their presence. It prevents food stores, from the cupboard of the house to the large warehouses, from becoming a paradise for these pests.
Follow us in this article to understand what food pests are and how to intervene with pest control actions.
What are food insects
Food insects belong to many pest families. The topic is vast, since food eaters include everything edible in their diet. A list, however exhaustive, may be boring and unnecessary.
So we’ll focus on the food parasites you might find most frequently. Don’t forget to check your food supplies regularly and call us if you need to pest control.
Consider that some insects become pests as a result of the intrusion of primary pests, which access the food and allow the intrusion.
Food insects: family of Lepidoptera
The moth are species of butterflies, all small in size, which feed at the stage of food larvae: mainly cereals and flour, or derived products.
- Plodia interpunctella (Plodia fasciata): it is the most economically damaging insect of food pests.
- Grey moth: it can reach every point in the environment and quickly spread the infestation.
- Rice Moth: reddish-brown in colour, like all moth, it contaminates food with silky burrs.
- Flour moth: they are brown and covered with long bristles. The wings are crossed by a more silvery stripe.
Food insects: family of Diptera
- Cheese Moscow: it feeds on the larval stage of cheese; in some areas infested cheeses are considered a gastronomic speciality, giving the larvae a special flavor.
- Fruit flies: they infest fruit, vinegar or must in various species, on the surface of which the larvae develop during fermentation.
- Meat flies: of the genera Calliphora (blue bluebottle), Sarcophaga (grey bluebottle with red eyes) and Lucilia (green bluebottle).
Food insects: family of Coleoptera
- Lard dermeste: infests numerous foods of animal origin with larvae.
- Tobacco and bread anobium: attacks numerous types of food (spices, seeds, tobacco, flour and derivatives) with the larvae and can penetrate even in apparently closed packages.
- Silvano: infests with the larvae flour or seeds already broken by other pests.
- Tenebrione mugnaioone: the larvae feed on flour and its derivatives
- Tribulation: it feeds on flours that take on an unpleasant smell and pink-brown colouring.
- Grain awl or calender: equipped with an elongated rostrum that allows it to attack grain caryopsis.
Food Insects: family of Arachnids
Yes, you could be dealing not only with pests, but also with a species belonging to the arachnid family.
We’re talking about mites. They are less than a millimetre in size and are visible when they gather in clusters on the attached products. Only by eliminating conditions that favour their development, such as high temperature and humidity, can their presence be avoided. Or, by intervening with pest control actions.
Disinfestation: how to get rid of food insects
When you open a door in your cupboard and are greeted by a seemingly harmless butterfly, start checking all your food right away. Don’t take a simple signal lightly and make sure you keep your food in perfect condition.
Food pests live inside your food and pest control treatments are necessary to prevent their proliferation.
At home or on the farm ImmediatelyDisinfestazioni Cattolica intervenes and helps you fight food insects fed with professional treatments.
In companies the impact of our interventions is almost zero and preserves the future of food production. Minimal impact and compliance with health, safety and food regulations.
First of all, the products we use are studied and approved by the regulations in force and are used following scrupulous procedures tested over years of activity. You must know that the products must be used alternately, otherwise insects can develop resistance and adapt.
Pay attention to the formation of moulds: our disinfectants hinder their formation and prevent the formation of ideal insect conditions in food.
That’s why it is important to monitor the condition of the environment and prevent conditions in which food insects are more likely to develop. This is the first step to combat the problem. However, measures cannot be the same for all types of insects.
You can act with:
- Preventive measures: aimed at reducing the humidity and temperature of the environment, or at eliminating everything that can retain dust, mites and insects from the premises.
- Chemical interventions: specific environmental treatments to reduce humidity and temperature.
Food insects: in conclusion
Now you know how many and what kind of food bugs are threatening your food. We know how frustrating it is to fight these problems that prevent:
- Feeling that our home, the most intimate place, has been violated by insects or harassing animals.
- Comply with health regulations for businesses and avoid penalties.
At home or on the farm, you can stop worrying: We’re here now.
Contact us now. Let’s talk together about the solution that suits your needs.